Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Comments On Presentations

On Hostage Situation – I think that the idea of the paper is a great idea, I am sure it wasn’t hard to find the arguments on what is and what is not the right way to handle this type of situation. However, exactly like you said every situation is so different in this field. Also I am interested is this something that you hope to go into. Your presentation was great, you didn’t seem nervous, and I feel that you hit all the points about how the problems are discussed academically in the field.


On Patient/Doctor Relations – There were at least 3 of these, so I am going to say all I have to say about these and take with you what pertained to you individual presentation. I think that most of the presentations did not really say what the people in the field are actually saying about the way in which they communicate to the patients. You focused mainly on the way you felt the patient felt under certain situations. On the other hand, a few of you actually did and I think that is what this presentation and paper is supposed to be more about. I think that this was probably the most used scenario and profession for this paper and I think it would be very smart to be sure to thoroughly give examples of how the actual doctors relay information to patients. I think a great thing you may want to look into, is in the practice of oncology and how the doctor relays the news to the patients that they are going to die. I read an article somewhere that some doctors get hugs from patients when they tell them this or even get thanked. Others get yelled at or the patient is in denial. I believe this has a lot to do with the relationship with the doctor.


On Accounting – I was in fact an accountant for a Retail store, I have a real life understanding how hard it is to get the business owner to understand what is going on with the numbers of the business. Not only was I the head accountant but I also worked there as a manger. I was there over 40 hours a week, and the owners were very trusting. I knew more about the internals of the business than they did. To people that don’t deal with Revenue, Profit, Assets, Liabilities, and Payroll on a day to day basis good luck. This is a cool major to go into and you learn what the definitions of all the different words listed above. But in the real world you don’t use ledgers and balance sheets on paper. I suggest get a copy of QuickBooks and start learning how to use it now. Also business plans, get familiar with looking over the number portions and don’t be afraid to point out that it just isn’t going to work. As far as the presentation you did great, I think that this one would be hard because of the fact that people good with number tend to stay as far away from writing academically as possible. I am sure you could find some articles on how business owners either understand or don’t understand what is going on with their money. I like the topic and it definitely is something that is very hard to communicate. If you find a efficient easy way to get the points across let me know.

No comments: