Friday, February 22, 2008

Old World! New World!

First off I want to say that this week has been the most stressful week of my life. STRIKE THAT! This week sucked.

How is that for concision? So this week we talked about our papers and how to make them more effective. I have always had a huge problem with writing sentences that go on forever. That contains multiple ideas, and most likely confuses the hell out of the reader. After reading in About Language on concision and going to class that day I was able to make my reading more effective. But I must say didn’t help on the length of my paper.

The time spent on writing a paper, editing, re-vision, and re-re-vision is well worth the time. I used to write papers and turn them out without second thought, and without even reading over them. I would get the papers back with marks on things that made absolutely no sense at all. I then started having someone else read my papers and help me be sure that they made sense. This was effective but I never thought about how powerful you can make a paper by taking out filler words, and just saying what is need to be said.

I will admit this makes it hard to meet the word wouldn’t requirements. Because usually I would have went on forever about my first sentence. In fact I feel everyone deserves to re-live what has happened.

OK so I am coming into this week from the worst Valentines Day ever. I was broken up with this year on V-Day! Yes I couldn’t believe it either, but it was my fault. I guess sometimes you need to choose your battles wisely. The fact that this relationship ended is not as upsetting has how it did. Moving on into this week. I spent the first part of this week with the flu, so I lay in bed and moped around about last week’s loss.

One stupid thing after another! Eventually it leads me to taking my best friend to the hospital where she lay I sat in the ER overnight on Tuesday. Her parents aren’t from here and she was very scared about being there alone, and I don’t blame her. OK, so after being there all night the next day they decide that she has appendicitis, and are going to do and emergency appendectomy. However they give her morphine right before they realize that her parents are forever away. Rendering her unable to go into surgery, because she has had pain meds and cannot sign a medical release.

This is where I come in! Her parents made me her medical proxy. Which means I am stuck at the hospital now. So I missed tons of important quizzes and papers in classes. But it was for my best friend so it was ok. The surgery went well and recovery was pretty quick. She had her own room and we ended up staying one more night. The chairs are very uncomfortable to sleep in, and I am not fond of the hospital at all. But we got out of there yesterday, after missing a final for a first session class.

Anyway, it has just been a stressful week!

1 comment:

Mr. Barnette said...

I do agree with your concision: it sounds like your week sucked. But I'm glad that you were able to help your friend out--that's important and it's easy for some people to lose sight of that during a busy semester. I'm also glad our revision activities seem to have been helpful, though. I hope you're able to get caught up in your other classes, as well.