Friday, March 7, 2008

What matters?

I am going to go out on a limb here and hope I don’t shoot myself in the foot. But if grammar doesn’t matter all that much, and what really matters is that you get the point that is trying to be conveyed. Then why do we have to endure a class that is supposed to teach us language, or teach us how to write. Better yet why do I get points taken off my paper because of grammar mistakes? So does it matter or not. I AM SO CONFUSED!

Everyone has some sort of a different argument, it is only in speech that it doesn’t matter, or it only matters if you are writing for a formal audience. Well didn’t we learn to speak before we learned how to write? Why can we just write like we talk, it would be easier and we could spell things much more loosely? I honestly don’t think anyone would care. Except maybe for the person who wrote the article about how he is disgusted in how the language is failing.

I don’t think there is a real answer on what is happening to the English language. I think the language would be more effective if we did use these shorter words that have been invented just for test messaging. As long as the communication get the point across. I however know that by doing this we take out all the descriptive aspects of English. The thing I don’t understand is why everyone is so up for talking like they do in these text messages.

So writing and speaking properly is either crap or not crap. Can we please decide which way speech should go!

No comments: